ACADEMY AWARD ® WINNER AND INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED FILM PRODUCER HARVEY WEINSTEIN, CBE ANNOUNCED AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER.
American film producer and studio executive Weinstein is famed as co-founder of Miramax, which produced many popular independent films including Pulp Fiction, Sex, Lies and Videotape, The Crying Game, Clerks and the English Patient.
Films can inform, move and entertain and, ultimately, inspire change. As the film world comes to town for the BAFTA Awards, we’re rolling out our own red carpet for a special one-day symposium exploring The Power of Film and Moving Image. Join us as we turn the spotlight on to some of the nation’s leading thinkers, activists and writers and ask them to reflect on the impact of feature films, documentaries, advertising, GoPro footage, Facebook Live, and other media on public thinking, culture and politics.
This project is the brainchild of Charles Finch, a leading veteran of the entertainment business, publishing and brand world. He will introduce the day which will then be hosted by Mariella Frostrup, with an afternoon Keynote by Melvyn Bragg.
Speakers include Germaine Greer on Amarcord: Memories of Fellini, Will Self on Art Films in the Internet Age, Fatima Bhutto on Film and Propaganda, Michael Gunton the Producer of Planet Earth, John Simpson on Film and Conflict, Elif Shafak on Democracy and Dissent, Beeban Kidron on the Power of Film to engage young people, Stephen Bayley on Film and Cars and Christiane Amanpour in conversation.
Plus, we’ll hear from Herman Narula the CEO of Improbable on ” Creating new realities – films, games and technology”, Hassan Akkad the refugee who filmed his journey to Europe on Go-Pro, Katrina Dodd on Advertising and Gender Equality, Sophie Hackford on Drones, Satellites and AI, Jude Pullen and Ross Atkin on the BBC’s pioneering The Big Life Fix , Oren Yakobovich from Videre on Film and Human Rights, Masterchef creator and director of Quadrophenia Franc Roddam on Emotional Cinema, Yalda Hakim from BBC World News Impact on Film & Storytelling and Catherine McCarthy from Medical Aid Films on the Power of Film to save lives.
Get set for an amazing, thought-provoking day.
THURSDAY 9TH FEBRUARY 2017
8.30AM ARRIVAL & REGISTRATION
9.00AM – 11.00AM SESSION A
- INTRODUCTION BY CHARLES FINCH, FOUNDER OF FINCH & PARTNERS AND VICE CHAIRMAN OF DEAN & DELUCA
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER, TO BE ANNOUNCED
- AWARD-WINNING TURKISH WRITER ELIF SHAFAK ON FILM, DEMOCRACY AND DISSENT
- CEO OF IMPROBABLE HERMAN NARULA ON NEW REALITIES, GAMES AND TECHNOLOGY
- TECH AND BUSINESS DIRECTOR SOPHIE HACKFORD ON DRONES, SATELLITES AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
- CNN’S CHIEF INTERNATIONAL CORRESPONDENT CHRISTIANE AMANPOUR IN CONVERSATION ON THE MEDIA AND NEWS
11.15AM – 12.45PM SESSION B
- BBC WORLD AFFAIRS EDITOR JOHN SIMPSON ON FILM AND CONFLICT
- WORLD-RENOWNED WRITER GERMAINE GREER ON AMARCORD: MEMORIES OF FELLINI
- SYRIAN PHOTOGRAPHER HASSAN AKKAD ON FILM AND REFUGEES
- BRITISH FILMMAKER BEEBAN KIDRON ON MOVING IMAGE AND YOUNG PEOPLE
- PAKISTANI WRITER FATIMA BHUTTO ON FILM AND PROPAGANDA
2.15PM-3.45PM SESSION C
- OPENING BY BROADCASTER MELVYN BRAGG
- CONTAGIOUS STRATEGIST KATRINA DODD ON GENDER EQUALITY IN ADVERTISING
- HOST OF BBC WORLD NEWS’ IMPACT YALDA HAKIM ON FILM AND STORYTELLING
- MASTERCHEF CREATOR FRANC RODDAM ON EMOTIONAL CINEMA
- THE BIG FIX DESIGNERS JUDE PULLEN & ROSS ATKIN ON EMPATHY, DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY IN REALITY TELEVISION
4.00PM-5.30PM SESSION D
- CULTURAL CRITIC STEPHEN BAYLEY ON THE CULTURE OF CARS IN FILMS
- NOVELIST AND POLITICAL COMMENTATOR WILL SELF ON ART FILMS IN THE INTERNET AGE
- PLANET EARTH PRODUCER MIKE GUNTON ON NATURE FILMS AND CLIMATE CHANGE AWARENESS
- CEO MEDICAL AID FILMS CATHERINE MCCARTHY ON POWER OF FILM TO SAVE LIVES
- SOCIAL ENTREPRENEUR OREN YAKOBOVICH ON FILM AND HUMAN RIGHTS
MODERATED BY WRITER AND BROADCASTER MARIELLA FROSTRUP
In collaboration with: